On Jun 30, 2019, at 8:50 PM, David M. Cotter via Carbon-dev
<carbon-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:

> it’s  my understanding that they DID complete 64bit carbon but chose not to
> release it so they wouldn’t be chained to it for years to come.

Down the memory hole it goes, like so many other things that we cherished about
the Mac platform.

> bad decision IMHO.  Windows apps i wrote twenty  years ago still work (still
> COMPILE!) on latest OS  & tools. not so mac.

ref unsystem; rewrite fullwise.

I've gone to considerable effort to make applications that build and run on
every Mac OS version from System 6 to the latest, and I can't do that anymore.
Maybe I'll pick up some Objective-C eventually, but first I'll learn some
community-developed C-based toolkits that run on free operating systems.

I'm not a fan of the Red Queen's race: rewriting code over and over again just
to keep it working at all.  Unix's open() function still works decades later --
it's not even deprecated.  Nobody's been forced to switch to openat() (or
something else entirely) and kill off support for older OSes that don't have it.

> used to be apple was “the good guys”.

That was the tale they told us in the 1984 commercial, at least.

I hope the list archives remain online so I and others can continue to derive
benefit from Eric's knowledge.

Josh