On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Nuwan Bandara <nu...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi Samisa,
>
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 8:08 AM, Samisa Abeysinghe <sam...@wso2.com>wrote:
>
>> And the reality is that not all products want a dashboard as part of the
>> management console.
>>
>> Dashboard is more useful with monitoring and better fits in products like
>> BAM.
>>
>> Note that, even in BAM, the main dashboard is not that useful with many
>> tabs loaded for different views. I usually use the JSP pages in BAM as the
>> dashboard is slow to load and gadgets are not reliably working. So it is
>> more useful to focus on:
>> 1. Support multiple dashboards instead of the loads of tabs on the same
>> dashboard
>> 2. Make gadgets slick, fast and always work like the DB + JSP experience.
>>

> The feature I have proposed in this mail provides the ability to have the
> JSP like experiences with the gadgets across the UI. The developers can have
> the custom look and feel, they can theme the frame as they want etc.
>

>> In other words, we are better off focusing on making this feature better
>> behave where it matters, rather than focusing on pushing this for all
>> products.
>>

> It was not my intention to ask all product teams to have the dashboard,
> rather to add better way to make UIs.
>

>> And if other products want dashboards for better UI experience, why not
>> simply use something simple like:
>> http://connect.gxsoftware.com/dashboardplugin/demo/dashboard_multiple.html???
>>

> IMO, since we have a dashboard inhouse, there is no much of a gain in using
> another tool. If there are issues with current dashboard we can definitely
> fix them ASAP if any product team report them

I think the problems are really clear and crystal. The biggest is the
devlopment effort. Then I get this question of why does it need to go though
a server side component at all for many cases, where the browser can do it
completely and cleanly with JS. And with the second point, again comes the
ease of development, all that you want is to Google, and there is enough
support around on how to write with JQuery. So what does it give me as added
advantage to use Shinding here and why is it better? Gadget repo? Gadget
communication? Gadget security?

Samisa...

Samisa Abeysinghe
VP Engineering