Hi all,

We have been looking into possibility of implementing Smooks as a
standalone feature to support all of Smooks capabilities. But as we have
experienced by trying out their samples and other mentioned features, we
have realized that Smooks has not straightforward mechanisms to address
some of the scenarios such as,

1. We can not define the data source of a Smooks filtering process within
the Smooks configuration. It need to be fed from outside the
configuration.
2. We can not define flow of message filters as to take the output from one
Smooks filter and set as the input of another Smooks filter.

We even communicated with Tom Fennelly, a core developer of Smooks about
those drawbacks, but there were no straightforward solutions to those.

If we are using ESB to execute Smooks capabilities those drawbacks will be
solved. Currently ESB only uses Smooks transformation feature. We have
tried out other Smooks features inside current ESB Smooks mediator and they
worked fine. Also defining a flow of Smooks filters can be done through
ESB. So finally we have identified two features which must be implemented
inside ESB in order to support all of Smooks capabilities from the ESB
Smooks mediator itself.

1. Supporting message streaming to the ESB Smooks mediator other than
keeping the whole message inside the memory. Currently Jasintha had been
looking into this and he has a solution for this.

2. Smooks filter can output a Java Result which is a Java bean and it will
be remain inside the Smooks ExecutionContext. So if we can set that Java
bean result of Smooks mediator to the ESB Message Context, we can use it in
other ESB mediators.

If the above mentioned features are supported from ESB, all of the Smooks
capabilities can be supported from the ESB itself.

Thanks,

Lakmali