Hi Antanas,

Am Freitag, den 19.11.2010, 10:00 +0000 schrieb J. Antas:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 09:14:46 +0100, Robert Meggle <meg...@merotech.de>
> wrote:
> > Gjergj suggested in follow up versions of care2x to change adodb with
> > ORM like doctrine.
>
> Although ORM is generally a good approach, PDO (as in PHP Data Objects)
> is so much simple to implement and, for practical purposes, as much
> powerful as ORM.

First of all: I totally agree. I see the benefit, I see the big thing in
having OOP based ORM's - and I do know the lack of it.

So I have a bit mixed feelings about that. That does not mean that I am
right or does I have a fixed idea on that at all.

My doubts about ORM is having not that huge community like having in SQL
based database layers. Maybe we might have also the lack of having
limited ways of debugging.

In my latest projects I used ORMs and was happy about that all, really.
But in detail it was a big headache. For an simple step, what might
needed some minutes in SQL, I spend one day. Based on the simple issue
that the ORM does not had this element.

This will definitely not a non flexible usage in my posting right now.
It is just the usage that when we go for it, it must be tested carefully
by the developers who are "in the code" to see early if the selected ORM
can handle the need what we have.

But be sure that we will test it out and will make public here the ideas
coming out of the backend-developer's corner and many thanks a lot for
your pdo link - we will also follow this idea. The first view sounds
great! :)

Robert

CARE2X - free Integ Hospital Info System
https://sourceforge.net/projects/care2002/
http://www.care2x.org