Hi Muthu,

Am Mittwoch, den 04.01.2012, 08:57 +0530 schrieb Ap.Muthu:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Guilty not able to contribute for so long.
> Kudos to all of you for keeping the torch burning along....
>
> While you are making the next release, check to see if there is any old SQL
> construct set used to check if a record exists before choosing to insert or
> update record(s) in a table. The REPLACE syntax has been a time saver for me
> in recent work although every field needs to be addressed in the REPLACE -
> caveat - cannot be applied if only some fields ned to be UPDATEd but all
> (and possibly different other) fields neeed to be in the INSERT.

Thanks for this advice. I have seen it and it works for me as well. I
also see the risk of it but so far we had not recognise any issue here.

> Any chance of using views along the way?

Well, yes. But this is another story. Anyway: Views offers many
opportunities.

Some individual changes for hospitals used views to prepare data in the
way they need for their own reporting. Also I did it for an specific
BIRT reporting need for an hospital here. Most of the challenges for
care2x is that it has to cover the existing requirements of an used
workflow.

The current version of care2x works really fine with mysql. For the next
version(s) of care2x we think to be having more flexibility for another
databases as well. Mysql is working here also on enterprise level for me
really fine but there are also critics out there about mysql - so I
would suggest to keep that open if possible. It sounds more easy than it
is.

Especially for standard reporting, views can help here to present data
in a valid way. So for DQL queries it could bring some benefit to come
along with individual views.

For productive database sets, such where DML queries will be used, it is
much more difficult to use views in a valid way and must be handled with
care. Mysql (and several other candidates of "simple" DBMS) does not
have the schemabinding concept like Oracle and MS-SQL and views itself
cannot check for dependencies and might disallow any modification what
would violate the data integrity. But you're right - especially in the
case you describe above it might be the best solution. We should work
that topic a bit out if you want and test if that could be the perfect
solution.

Robert

CARE2X - free Integ Hospital Info System
https://sourceforge.net/projects/care2002/
http://www.care2x.org