Hi Marco,

Let's make sure you're doing what we are expecting you to do, since there is no tutorial yet for Map to Individual:

* On the Map fMRI to Surface dialog, select the volume as you specified below.
* Select Map to Individual.
* Press the Parameters button.
* Press the Params button on the Individual Parameters dialog.
* Load the appropriate .params file for the right hemisphere (i.e., the one that is named closest to your surface name, or rather the intensity volume from which it was generated); its filename should appear in your spec file, but the mapper does not load it automatically.
* Then select the fiducial vtk file under the Mapping Surface Selection.

Is this what you did?

Donna

marco tettamanti wrote:
Dear Caret authors,
I am sorry to come up with new questions.

I am experiencing some problems in Mapping fMRI data onto RIGHT hemispheric surfaces (not on the atlas, but on my own generated average dataset). In the Map fMRI to Surface dialogue window, I select my own fMRI dataset and specify Analyze volume type and Left-Posterior-Inferior orientation.
I then select the Map to Individual option.
Choosing Negative X - Left (Anatomical) (i.e. the orientation of average structural image) in the Individual parameters dialogue window, produces some unexpected results: the left hemispheric activations, rather than the right hemispheric ones, are mapped onto the right hemispheric surface.
Why is that?
Appearently, choosing Negative X - Right (Radiological) in the Individual parameters dialogue window, solves the problem, i.e. the right hemispheric activations are mapped onto the right hemispheric surface. However, only some of the expected foci light up (I was expecting - e.g. based on the SPM maps - to see a focus in the inferior frontal gyrus, but it is not there; and other foci are also not there).

Using the SAME fMRI data files for Mapping onto the left hemispheric surface (derived from the SAME average structural image) does not produce such problems. Choosing Negative X - Left (Anatomical) in the Individual parameters dialogue window, has the expected effect of mapping left hemispheric foci onto the left hemisphere.

Just as a control, I have then mapped the right hemispheric activations onto the left hemisphere (by choosing Negative X - Right (Radiological) in the Individual parameters dialogue window). When I do this, all expected foci (included the one in the inferior frontal gyrus) light up. I am aware that this doesn't mean much; the difference may be due to an asymmetry between the right and the left hemisphere.

But I do not see such a big asymmetry, and I just wanted to be sure that there is not something wrong with the way I am using the mapping procedure.

Thanks for your help as always!
Marco