Sophie,

First, I want to clarify what you did.  I think you mean this:

* you generated a "*segment_vent_corr*mnc file using SureFit
* you imported this .mnc as a segmentation volume into Caret
* you used Volume:Segmentation: Edit Voxels to patch the .mnc
* you tried and failed to flatten the hemisphere

Assuming the above scenario reflects what you did, then I suspect you didn't successfully run Prepare for Flattening in SureFit with the patched volume loaded. John Harwell alluded to this in his previous reply. Try this:

* after you patch in caret, do Save Data File: Volume Files - SPM and Medx (.hdr). Select volume type: Segmentation and Volume File: whatever label caret imported your segmentation as (e.g., volume0).
* run Analyze2Minc on the resulting "myseg.hdr" file
* load your cropped structural volume and vol1 in SureFit, myseg.mnc as vol2
* Run SureFit with these settings:
   use segmentation in vol2
   fill ventricles no
   correct errors no
   prepare for flattening
   identify sulci yes

I think this will work. If you failed to run the final, patched segmentation through SureFit's prepare for flattening, then caret would be unable to find the ellipsoid and other files needed to flatten the surface.

Donna