Hi Albena,

John Harwell is out of the office today, but let's just make sure caret5 is actually finding the libstdc++.so.5 you installed.

1. Enter "which caret5" on the command line.
2. Enter "ldd /usr/local/caret/bin/caret5" on the command line (replacing the full pathname of caret5 with the output of step 1, if different than /usr/local/caret/bin/caret5).
3. Include the ldd output in your reply to this message.

I assume you meant /usr/local/lib is in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but the ldd output will leave no doubt as to whether caret5 is finding the library.

If the ldd output doesn't include libstdc++.so.5 (or says not found), then set this environment variable:

tcsh:
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
sh/bash:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH ; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

These settings can be stored in your start-up scripts (e.g., .cshrc for tcsh), so you don't have to manually set them when you start caret5.

Donna