Ed,

Donna's comments are (as usual) on the mark. I have several additional questions/comments.

1) What cortical layer do your contours represent? I'm guessing from your figure that they represent the pial surface, or something close to it. In that case, there is an inherent problem, because the pial surfaces from the pre- and post-lunate gyri are in very close approximation, and any 'jitter' in contour drawing or alignment will easily result in artifactual 'fusion' across the sulcus.

For this and other reasons, my lab from the outset has advocated the use of layer 4 (= cortical mid-thickness) as the substrate for surface reconstructions. Is that feasible for your data sets?

2) Another important issue concerns the spacing between nodes. It is very important to have approximately equal within-contour and across-contour spacing. IF you stay with 50 micron spacing between sections (but see below), you should match that spacing in the contour drawing process (it is adjustable).

3) I have learned from experience years ago that it can be problematic to have sections that are more closely spaced than the precision with which surface points are delineated and aligned. And getting alignment good to 50 microns from histological sections (with the local distortions that commonly occur) is HARD! Hence, you might consider using coarser spacing (100 or 200 microns) for generating the surface reconstruction. Then if you have data points from sections in between, they can be entered at intervening levels without the necessity of drawing the section contours. (BUT then make sure that you number the contours appropriately - i.e., as even numbers or as every 4th integer). AND test things out on another trial set before investing a huge amount of time.

4) What kind(s) of experimental data are associated with your sections?

As Donna indicated, uploading a data set can help with further diagnosis, but I suspect the above pointers will provide some immediate redirection.

Hope this helps.

David VE