Morgan,

I just sent you an off-list post about the AAL stuff. It looks like there are some useful parcellation schemes that we should be able to get onto PALS_B12 via Colin, if we can overcome some minor obstacles. But I'm not sure if we'll actually update the colin atlas. Evidently colin is still being actively used in volumeland. David can think this over.

If you're using AFNI to set the AC-PC and talairach markers, then you can use AFNI's adwarp command line utility to warp your anatomical from +orig to +acpc view (rather than +tlrc view); either +acpc or +tlrc warps would be fine. But if you want your surface coordinates to reflect "true" talairach, then +tlrc is what you want.

Segmentation is covered here:

http://brainmap.wustl.edu/caret/pdf/Caret_5_12_Tutorial_Segment.pdf

Registration is covered here:

http://brainmap.wustl.edu/caret/pdf/Caret_5_12_Tutorial_Intro.pdf

The latter tutorial still cites the colin atlas as the target (lots of documentation needs updating). But this page has links to the PALS_B12 target borders:

http://brainvis.wustl.edu/help/landmarks_core6/landmarks_core6.html

It also contains colin ref for landmark borders. In your case, draw your individual's registration borders using the Core6 landmark guidance at the web page above. Then, why not run the registration two ways, using the same individual landmark borders both times, but in the first pass using colin as the target, and in the second using PALS_B12 as the target. Then, you can apply the corresponding deformation map to bring your individual's data to the target of choice and vice versa. Running the registration takes only five or ten minutes and is fairly painless. In short, enjoy the best of both worlds.

When you run the to-colin registration, make sure you use the ref-for-landmarks datasets linked from http://brainvis.wustl.edu/help/landmarks_core6/landmarks_core6.html (i.e., that use the core6 landmarks). The tutorial dataset may have been created before Core6 landmarks were developed.

Donna