Just a couple of things to add to John's reply:

* Most users who segment using Caret, 1Gb of memory is enough, but if your volume is very high resolution or otherwise is very large (e.g., dimensions of 300x300x300 are above those of a typical Caret user; most volumes are something like 150x200x150 or smaller in size). During processing, Caret has multiple volumes in memory concurrently.

* Once at least a year ago, I saw this error when the user's real trouble was disk space. He was working on a network drive that wasn't big enough for the intermediate files. Try running it in a local drive with gigabytes of free space (several times your volume size).