I was just thinking FSL's command line utilities also could get the job done, but again -- don't think there's a Windows version. (Morgan would certainly know.;-) My guess is John will need to go the Cygwin route, unless he gets MacOSX or Linux access soon.

To make John feel a bit worse, note the "Unix" tag way at the bottom of the MRIcro page (http://www.sph.sc.edu/comd/rorden/mricro.html):

FormatConvert [Unix] Pittsburgh 1.0, Afni, GE (I*.nnn files, E*.MR files), BrainVoyager (VMR, VTC, STC, VMP)

Keep hounding Brain Innovation for real NIfTI support.