Hi John,

Thanks. Now, I understand. I thought that the reported dimensions and voxel sizes refered to the volume (I,J,K) dimensions (voxel coordinates), and not to the (X,Y,Z) dimensions (real world coordinates). Please, correct me if I am still wrong?

I have another question: Does Caret take into account any rotation specified in the nifti-1 header? Or is there any incompatibility with transformations done by SPM5?

To better explain my question, let me describe the following test that I did:

1) I rotated my 3D_original.nii image of 45degrees around the X-axis (see 3D_original_rotated_spm5.pdf). 2) I saved this rotation in the image header, but I didn't reslice the image. 3) When I loaded the rotated image with Caret, I couldn't see anything in the P(YZ) and C(XZ) planes. However the H(XY) plane was displayed as if the image was not rotated. When I used the 'x', 'y' and 'z' control buttons to navigate through the image, the H(XY) slices were displayed as if it was the non-rotated 3D_original.nii. The reported dimensions and voxel sizes were 124x201x151 and 1.3x1.326x0.00, respectively.

Is it right?

Thanks,
Mateus

John Harwell wrote:

Mateus,

A volume has three-dimensions which are commonly indexed with I, J, and K.

When Caret loads a volume it always stores the voxels such that the voxels run left-to-right in the first dimension ("I"), posterior-to- anterior in the second dimension ("J"), and inferior-to-superior ("K") in the third dimension. This is commonly referred to as an "LPI" orientation and negative X points to the left side of the head, negative Y points to the back of the head, and negative Z points down into the neck. This is the same orientation used by the Talairach atlas which places the origin at the anterior commissure.

Your volume has the voxels running anterior-to-posterior in the first dimension ("I"), inferior-to-superior in the second dimension ("J"), and left-to-right in the third dimension("K"). This is an AIL orientation.

Since Caret wants the volume in an LPI orientation and your volume is in an AIL orientation, Caret will reorganize the voxels in memory so that the volume is in an LPI orientation. It is this reorientation operation that results in the voxel sizes and dimensions being permuted.

Output of 3DInfo for your volume and your volume saved by Caret with an LPI orientation:

Dataset File:    3D_original.nii
Identifier Code: NII_Oo8IAJJUzJFWVH2nBnBIQA Creation Date: Thu Nov 16 13:44:28 2006
Dataset Type:    Anat Bucket (-abuc)
Byte Order:      LSB_FIRST {assumed} [this CPU native = MSB_FIRST]
Storage Mode:    NIFTI file
Data Axes Orientation:
  first  (x) = Anterior-to-Posterior
  second (y) = Inferior-to-Superior
  third  (z) = Left-to-Right   [-orient AIL]
R-to-L extent: -80.652 [R] -to- 79.248 [L] -step- 1.300 mm [124 voxels] A-to-P extent: -73.912 [A] -to- 113.588 [P] -step- 0.938 mm [201 voxels] I-to-S extent: -70.210 [I] -to- 70.415 [S] -step- 0.938 mm [151 voxels]
Number of values stored at each pixel = 1
  -- At sub-brick #0 '?' datum type is float

-----------------

Dataset File:    3D_original_saved_with_caret.nii
Identifier Code: NII_Ffg_VXBk3o4b2q-dpSG84g Creation Date: Thu Nov 16 13:44:41 2006
Dataset Type:    Anat Bucket (-abuc)
Byte Order:      MSB_FIRST {assumed} [this CPU native = MSB_FIRST]
Storage Mode:    NIFTI file
Data Axes Orientation:
  first  (x) = Left-to-Right
  second (y) = Posterior-to-Anterior
  third  (z) = Inferior-to-Superior   [-orient LPI]
R-to-L extent: -80.653 [R] -to- 79.248 [L] -step- 1.300 mm [124 voxels] A-to-P extent: -73.912 [A] -to- 113.588 [P] -step- 0.938 mm [201 voxels] I-to-S extent: -70.210 [I] -to- 70.415 [S] -step- 0.938 mm [151 voxels]
Number of values stored at each pixel = 1
  -- At sub-brick #0 '?' datum type is float

John Harwell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
314-362-3467

Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology