It means start on the outside and end on the inside, as shown in the attached capture, which shows an exaggeratedly thick red cut near some crossovers.

Both Erin and I would have left these minor, peripheral crossovers alone (i.e., no cuts), because we know from experience they tend to cause no trouble. If there were tangles or fold-overs, then we'd cut them out.