Leon,

I can replicate and explain your observations in the following way:

1) Load a foci file that contains data in multiple stereotaxic spaces, and view the foci with the FLIRT average fiducial surface in the main window.. At this stage, each focus will be in its original space, even though you are viewing the FLIRT average fiducial surface.

2) Open a second Caret window that contains a non-fiducial surface (e.g., the inflated surface). Note that no foci are visible on the inflated surface prior to projection.

3) Apply Layers: Foci: Project Foci to PALS atlas. As the projection process occurs, each focus that didn't start out as already being in FLIRT space will jump to a new position, by an amount that reflects the difference between FLIRT and whatever space the focus originated in. Concurrently, foci will start appearing on the inflated surface. Once the projection process is completed, each focus should be visible only once on the fiducial surface.

4) Open the original foci file (using Open File or using Toolbar: Spec) and Append it to the current foci. Now you should see most (but perhaps not all) foci doubled in the average fiducial surface view but not in the inflated view.

In other words, I infer that you inadvertently loaded both the foci and the foci projection file to create the view in your email. In general, you will want to avoid such quasi-duplication. Instead, only view foci projection data once the projection is complete, unless you have a specific need to see the foci in their original space.

I hope this resolves your question.

David