Antoine et al.,

John's comments are on the mark.

Subdividing cortex into different functional modalities is challenging to do in macaques, where there is a lot of experimental data, and even more difficult in humans. Nonetheless, because the issue is of obvious importance, I stuck my neck out and made a 'first-pass' estimate for a chapter that was published in 2004.

I certainly hope and expect that this map will be updated before too long, based on the outpouring of recent fMRI studies, but it is not an easy task and is not one that leads to sharp boundaries between different modalities.

David VE