Hi Andrew,

I'm not aware of a Caret feature that ensures uniform resampling, but the caret_command -deformation-map-apply and -deformation-map-create features do support non-uniform resampling. Simplify surface will just reduce the number of nodes; it doesn't ensure uniform spacing.

Have a look at AFNI/SUMA's IsoSurface command line utility.  The usage says:

  NOTE:
  The code for the heart of this program is a translation of:
  Thomas Lewiner's C++ implementation of the algorithm in:
Efficient Implementation of Marching Cubes´ Cases with Topological Guarantees
  by Thomas Lewiner, Hélio Lopes, Antônio Wilson Vieira and Geovan Tavares
  in Journal of Graphics Tools.
  http://www-sop.inria.fr/prisme/personnel/Thomas.Lewiner/JGT.pdf
The name suggests uniform node spacing, although I could be misinterpreting it.

The entire suite of AFNI/SUMA goodness awaits you at:

http://afni.nimh.nih.gov/afni/

SUMA can read both Freesurfer and Caret formats, and probably the new GIfTI surface standard as well.

Donna