Thanks I'll check that out.

I can write a program to convert between two data formats if Caret has some
appropriate file format.  Something where you can assign data to the mesh
polygons, so you can then say colour the surface in caret with that data, as
you would if it was mean curvature etc.  I was hoping it was the cell file?

FYI The problem is I need to cut and then flatten some surface models that
have data associated with the polygons.  The thing is if I import to Caret,
that polygon data is not kept anywhere.  Then when I cut the surface and
flatten, there are less polygons than there used to be, so when I save the
it back as a VTK file I can't even cross reference it to the original VTK
file to "look up" the polygon data.  Therefore I need to hang on to this
data whilst cutting and flattening.

Thanks,
Tristan