Thanks for information, but I must confess I don't understand why you
create the sphere first.  I thought the procedure for atlases was to make a
surface, then resample it as a standard mesh, then do spherical morphing
etc.  Is the idea instead to create the fiducial surface, do spherical
morphing, then align the sphere to one of these standard spheres?

FYI we've already made a fiducial surface with cytoarchitecure as paint.