Hi,

I just wondering, is there advantage/disadvantage to using open or closed
borders in registration?  e.g. why is the medial wall two borders and not a
single closed border?  I had heard a while back that originally borders
could only be drawn on flat surfaces so this must have been necessary then,
but now you can draw borders on the 3d surface.

Is there something "simpler" and thus better about using open borders for
registration?

I was wondering, if you were placing a border on a cortical area with that
has a topographic organization, e.g. V1, is it better to use two borders,
one for the upper field boundary, one for the lower field boundary, to give
it some indication of the topology?  I figure the closed border has a
specific start point, end point and order, so if you do it the same in both
source and target then it should match up in the same way.

I have been reading Van Essen et al. (2011) Cortical Parcellations of the
Macaque Monkey Analyzed on Surface-Based Atlases, but I can't seem to work
it out from based on the description of the algorithm there.  It seems like
it would make no difference if closed or open borders are used.

Any insight or practical experience would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Tristan