We still don't have a SPM8 version, if that's really your question. ;-)  SPM5
is what I would use, in your shoes.

If your functionals are in MNI space, as you say they are, then you're good.
When you say "hdr" I assume that's a NIFTI hdr/img pair, and not an Analyze
volume, because you're using SPM8, which I'm guessing outputs NIFTI by default.

Your question about the space if valid:  If you mapped volume to Caret, and
used a currently loaded coord file, you'd need to be sure it was a coord like
*SPM5*coord -- not *711-2*coord, which is possibly what is in that TEMPLATE
spec.  But because you mapped to Spec File with Atlas, *and chose SPM5* as the
space for your PALS surface, Caret mapped your volume to a coord in your Caret
distribution directory (e.g.,
$CARET_HOME/data_files/fmri_mapping_files/*PALS*SPM5*coord).  Once it is mapped
to a metric, you can view it on any surface in correspondence with the mapping
surface (e.g., any space fiducial coord, inflated, very inflated, spherical,
flat).

So you should be good.  When in doubt, I fish avg152T1.nii out of my FSL/SPM
distribution; open it as an anatomy file in Caret; overlay my functional volume
on it; and turn on my surface outline (D/C: Volume Surface Outline or something
like that -- very last page selection).  You might have to fish
CARET_HOME/data_files/fmri_mapping_files out of your distribution directory, if
it's not already in your spec file.  This is the surface that needs to align
with your functional.