Hey, merry christmas.

I have a surface. and a volume. they are in register in caret. the volume
has an origin reported in the nifti header.

If I apply a rigid body transform to both, they are both rotated the way I
want (the way I want is so that the surface, and MR data in the slice plane
as some microscope slides of the sample) but the surface is no longer in
register with the volume.

the rotations are right. but the translations aren't (there aren't any
translations intended actually)

I can

a) manually translate the surface around in caret till it roughly fits
(which I did, it's fine for now)
b) adjust the origin of the nifti (the origin isn't changed by applying the
transform with flirt)

or I guess c) adjust something in the surface header. couldn't see what.

It occurred to me to treat the original volume origin as a vector and apply
the transform to it, then set the origin of the rotated volume to those
values.

Probably that would work. But it's a bit too much linear algebra for me.

Moving on from the obvious fact that I'm not that bright, surely doing
exactly this kind of thing ought to be pretty easy?