I assume you mean this tutorial:

FS-to-F99_Tutorial_Sept10.doc
http://sumsdb.wustl.edu/sums/archivelist.do?archive_id=8285962

I confess I'm not as familiar with the details of that one, but my hunch is
that the volume is being used here not to drive registration directly, in the
way it would a volumetric registration to some stereotaxic space.  Rather, it
is being used here to help you pinpoint the murky medial wall borders.  Often
the dorsal border is clear from the CC or callosal sulcus.  But it can be
tricky to know where to place the medial wall ventral border.  If you can
somehow find a principled way to narrow it down from "somewhere in the
neighborhood of the hippocampus," then you can explain that in your methods as
a deviation from the tutorial, owing to lack of anatomical volume.