Hi Nicky,

I think I see what you mean back there.  But I can think of only two
things that would cause it:

* Cropping the hemisphere too closely to the midline, to where the
anatomical volume is getting shaved off before segmentation even begins.
This is under your control, so I assume you are not doing that.

* The gray matter intensity drops off in the affected cortex to the point
where it thresholds out.

Based on my understanding of the segmentation algorithm, which hasn't
changed for years, there is no cut being applied here by the algorithm.
The user crops to hemispheres, so this is usually sufficient, along with
the CSF between the two hemispheres, for the hemispheres to separate
cleanly.  And usually occipital petalia are not shorn off.

If you are experiencing version differences, then two things come to mind
as possible causes (though these are by no means exhaustive):

* spatial normalization causes more torquing
* intensities are distributed differently, possibly causing the
thresholding issue mentioned above

I am not sufficiently familiar with SPM5 vs SPM8 diffs to venture a guess.
 But it might help to sort out whether these subjects are being spatially
normalized before input.  If so, then have you tried segmenting the same
subjects without normalization (though they'll need to be at least
remotely AC-PC oriented for segmentation to work properly).  I'm sure it
is possible to segment in AC-PC space, then warp nonlinearly to MNI (i.e.,
apply the warp to the surface coordinates to get something that aligns
nicely with your MNI volume).

If you're not spatially normalizing first, then look for steps in your SPM
pre-processing stream that could affect thresholding.

Donna