Hello Milan,

Years ago, I generated the Brodmann surface-based maps in Caret by manually
estimating areal boundaries on a surface-based atlas using as a reference the
classical Brodmann drawing of a right hemisphere (reprinted in Polyak, 1947).
Because this illustration did not include insular cortex, these areas were
omitted from the surface-based parcellation.

Several other parenthetical comments that you and others might find helpful:

1) The Brodmann areal boundaries on our surface-based atlases are only crude
approximations, because Brodmann did not indicate their location within sulcal
cortex.

2) Human cortical parcellation is a very active research arena.  We have made
available surface-based parcellations based on architectonics that cover about
1/3 of cortex, along with resting-state fMRI parcellations that span all of
cortex.

3) FYI, Caret software is being maintained but not developed further.  My lab
is currently focused on  continued development of Connectome Workbench
(http://www.humanconnectome.org/software/connectome-workbench.html).  Workbench
performs most of what Caret can do (but better!) and has many additional
visualization and analysis features.  Caret spec files and data files can be
imported into workbench-compatible format.

David VE