Dear Donna,

Thanks for your fast response, I appreciate it!

My situation is as follows:

On the one hand, I have a group-averaged T1-weighted image, together with a
volumetric atlas (that is, an integer labeling of the
voxels) as well as a structural connectivity matrix (obtained via
fiber-tracking on the group-averaged diffusion-weighted image). On
the other hand, I have a T1-weighted image of an individual monkey. My aim
is to obtain a surface atlas (derived from volumetric atlas)
for the individual monkey.

Could I first to a volumetric-registration of the individual image to the
group-averaged image and subsequently project the induced
labeling of the voxels of the individual image to the individual surface?
Or do I have to extract the surface of the group-averaged
image, project the volumetric atlas to it, and subsequently perform a
spherical registration of the individual surface to the group-
averaged surface?

The first approach seems more straightforward, but I don't know if it is
correct. Also, a complication with the second approach is that
the extracted surface from the group-averaged image looks worse than that
extracted from the individual image (it is entirely ok, except
for that the primary visual cortex has a large part missing at the medial
side).

And Donna, could you please tell me how to create a paint file from a
nifty-file? (the atlas I have is saved as a nifti-file)

The background is that we want to construct a computational model of
cortical dynamics using the structural connectivity information.
An alternative, I guess, would be to spherically register the individual
surface to the F99 template and subsequently, use the CoCoMAc
or other available connectivity data. The drawback of this, however, is
that the strength of connections is more or less qualitative, hence
not so well-suited for modeling. If you think, though, that this is the
best option for the creation of a surface-atlas, then I will go for it.

Thanks a lot Donna, and kind regards,
Rikkert