Hi Donna,
thanks for pointing out the palette file format. I have been playing around
with this but am running into two strange issues. First, the I am getting a
fairly weird display that differs markedly from the one I originally
created in Freesurfer. For example, the maximal number appears much less
frequently in Caret than in FS. I am not sure where that problem could
arise (I am converting a w file into Caret format which for all other maps
has worked just fine). Secondly, and this may or may not be related, the
colorbar only displays one color, but all tickmarks.
Any ideas?
This is an excerpt from my palette file:

  _br1 = #7f0000
  _br2 = #ff3f00
  _br3 = #efff0f
  _br4 = #1fffdf