Hi Pavel,

Map your volume as a Paint ROI volume, rather than as a metric.  Then use
Attributes: Area Color to assign colors.  Save not only the resulting paint
file, but also the area color file.  The paint file has the index to name
mapping, while the area color maps name to color.

If you're not mapping volume to surface, but just want to change how the volume
is displayed, then make sure you open the volume as a volume paint file and
then try Attributes: Area Color.  See if there are any unnamed colors.

If you save your volume in wustl nil/ifh format, the ifh file can encode the
index-name mapping; see
http://brainvis.wustl.edu/pipermail/caret-users/2014-August/006199.html for
gory details.

Donna