Hi Simon,

If you can represent your parcellation in Caret paint format, then you can do
Surface: Region of Interest.  There is a feature in there that generates areal
borders from parcels.  The paint format is defined here:

http://brainvis.wustl.edu/CaretHelpAccount/caret5_help/file_formats/file_formats.html#paintFile

You can save the borders as borderproj or border.  There are advantages to
each.  Borderproj depends on a particular topology, but you can display the
borders on the midthickness, inflated, sphere -- any configuration.  Border
depends more on geometry, but can be displayed on multiple meshes (e.g., if you
fix a topological error, and thus change the number of vertices, you can still
display the border on both surfaces (before and after patching).

Caret isn't handy right now, so I can't double-check, but it's possible the
feature that draws borders around clusters requires the vertices to be
selected, one group/label at a time.  If so, you might be able to use
caret_command to loop through the paint names, selecting each parcel at a time,
drawing a border around it:

      caret_command -surface-region-of-interest-selection
      caret_command -surface-border-draw-around-roi

Then you can open all of the resulting borders at once and save as a
border/borderproj.

Maybe workbench has a streamlined version of this.

Donna