On Mon, Nov 14, 2022, 4:58 PM Jérôme LELEU <lel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have made new tests.
>
> With the new implementation, I have experienced Redis crashes, but I'm not
> sure this is meaningful.
> In any case, I have updated to Redis v7 with 500Mo of memory.

I ran into something similar. I think this is mainly due to the large
number of operations and tickets and that the redis setup is not exactly
tuned to handle the load.

> CAS v6.5 :
> Average time node 1: 1 ms
> Average time node 2: 1 ms
>
> CAS v7.0.0 fix REDIS :
> Average time node 1: 2 ms
> Average time node 2: 2 ms
>
> While it performs better on CAS v6.5, it now performs very well on CAS v7
> as well.
>
> Did you change something else in addition to the cache?

Yes I am experimenting with the ticket pattern lookup to not use scanning.
This seems to be good enough even without the cache. If you disable the
cache altogether on a single node by forcing its capacity to be at 0, (i.e
never cache anything) you should see comparable performance numbers. This
should fit the scope of 6.6, if we were to backport.

I'd like to keep the cache changes in master and continue testing. Cache
invalidation can be very tricky here to make sure updates and changes to
one ticket on one node is correctly found and processed on another. Given
the current caching model is incredibly fast, I'd like to stick to this
strategy and work out the other possible issues with clustered setups and
event sinks. If I cannot make it work reliably, then I would consider
either removing the cache or changing its structure. It would be slower
than what it is now, but still very very fast.

And if this technique works ok, it might be something to extend to other
registry plugins as the need comes up.