Scott:

Could you ask the cas server directly for cas/service1 and then let
CAS go to the actual service1 URL and cas filter?  This way the
"?service= " part could be removed from the original request.  We used
reverse proxy here to hide things, but the certificate work (HTTPS)
gave us great issue.  But I guess redirects would be seen anyhow in
the browser unless somehow the request could come through the CAS URL
is all cases.  Somehow, be very light on CAS.  And, why would it
matter if the CAS server were the portal?

Are you trying to speed things or hide things more?

David