I have managed to solve that issue by adding the following to the
JCIFSConfig

 p:jcifsDomain="devad.vu.edu.au"
      p:jcifsDomainController="devaddc1.devad.vu.edu.au"

Question, Is the problem a domain issue.

As you can see by the above configuration. The domain controller
information is.

Domain: devad.vu.edu.au

Domain Controller:  devaddc1.devad.vu.edu.au

But the CAS machine configuration is the following.

CAS Address:  devportalweb1.vu.edu.au

Domain: vu.edu.au

The machine will need to connect to the devad.vu.edu.au domain correct?

https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/d/msgid/cas-user/514f0bdc-d8c5-42a1-8e14-f6c23fd9fbce%40apereo.org.