I had this problem running CAS 5.0.0 and 5RCs in external Tomcat container
using Windows OS.

The problem is that one of Tomcat's .BAT-files (maybe catalina.bat, I
cannot recall) has line something like

set LOGGING_CONFIG=blah-blah

and then when Spring is looking for "logging.config" property it is "smart"
enough to consider mentioned LOGGING_CONFIG as desired logging.config.

I added line (you may set any path to your logging config for CAS, but I am
satisfied with the default file):

logging.config=classpath:log4j2.xml

to cas.properties file which is by default should be placed in
file:///etc/cas/config
directory, but again you may control this location by
spring.cloud.config.server.native.searchLocations property setting it in
bootstrap.properties file (as I did) or via command line argument starting
from -- (but I did not try):

--spring.cloud.config.server.native.searchLocations=whatever_you_wish

So, this problem disappeared.

By the may, placing logging.config property in application.properties file
inside CAS war file didn't help me.

Regards, Yauheni.

--
- CAS gitter chatroom: https://gitter.im/apereo/cas