You might find this helpful; it's the step-by-step documentation I've been
building to record our development environment for posterity. It's not the
only way to do it, but if you're completely new to everything, it will at
least get you off the ground with something you can then start to
experiment with on your own.

https://dacurry-tns.github.io/deploying-apereo-cas/introduction_overview.html

It's still a work in progress, so not everything is there, but you're
welcome to what is.

To answer your specific questions:

1. Yes, you need the CAS server before you can "CAS-ify" an application.

2. The out-of-the-box CAS deployment will take care of Tomcat and SSL if
you want to run in an embedded container. If you want to run with an
external Tomcat instance, you have to do those things yourself. It's a
trade-off, there are pros and cons to both approaches. The link above uses
external Tomcat, so if you want all those steps, there they are.

3. The apps would normally reside somewhere other than the CAS server.
You'll want to treat the CAS server as a key component of your security
infrastructure, so it should be protected in much the same way as you
protect your LDAP servers, etc.

--Dave

--

DAVID A. CURRY, CISSP
*DIRECTOR OF INFORMATION SECURITY*

71 FIFTH AVE., 9TH FL., NEW YORK, NY 10003
+1 212 229-5300 x4728 • david.cu...@newschool.edu

[image: The New School]