This indeed was ehcache filling up to the this default mark:

https://apereo.github.io/cas/5.1.x/installation/Configuration-Properties.html#ehcache-ticket-registry
specifically: # cas.ticket.registry.ehcache.maxElementsInMemory=10000

Which I have increased to 15000 and we have sufficient heap to handle this
increase. However, we have run a VIP monitor using cas/status and as soon
as we went above 10000 we get this cas/status warning:

1.SessionMonitor: WARN - Session count (11798) is above threshold 10000.
825 service tickets.

which results in the HTML cas/status code going from a 200 to a 400, which
shutdown our VIP :-(  So I quickly disabled that monitor to keep us
running. There must be another threshold that I need to increase, any ideas?

I will submit another cas/status question just to get greater visibility.

Thanks, Duane