Note that Jasypt is just a wrapper around Java's symmetric encryption
algorithms.

Yeah, you've encrypted the passwords in the cas.properties file, but the
Jasypt key to decrypt them has to exist in plaintext in the startup script
(systemd service file, /etc/init.d script, etc.) for the server (unless you
want to enter it by hand whenever the system reboots)... so all you've
really accomplished is moving the plaintext from one file to another.

Plus Jasypt seems to be kind of dead (it hasn't been updated since 2014 and
doesn't work with some of Java's newer crypto algorithms).

If you're really concerned about it, you probably want to look at storing
your configuration info in a heavily-fortified Spring Cloud Configuration
server somewhere. But unless you're already drinking the Spring Cloud
Kool-Aid in your organization and have such a framework rolled out, that's
a WHOLE LOT of work for very little gain.

--

DAVID A. CURRY, CISSP
*DIRECTOR OF INFORMATION SECURITY*

71 FIFTH AVE., 9TH FL., NEW YORK, NY 10003
+1 212 229-5300 x4728 • david.cu...@newschool.edu

[image: The New School]