In my configuration (which is essentially what this guide is describing), I
use an external Tomcat, not the embedded one. So, my setup follows the
Tomcat hardening guidelines, which recommend deploying exploded directories
rather than WAR files. See the section on installing Tomcat (under Setting
up the environment) for more info on this.

The "tar" command bundles up the contents of the "target/cas" directory,
which is what would end up in the WAR file anyway, and also your
"etc/cas/config" files.The other options just set things up so when the
files are extracted they're owned by the right user and group and have the
right permissions.

Read ahead to the next section on the page (the installation shell script)
and you'll see where the script extracts the application into
"/var/lib/tomcat" ("/opt/tomcat/latest/webapps") and your config files into
"/etc/cas/config".

So there's no WAR file to deploy, because it's not needed in the external
Tomcat setup. If you really want one Maven builds it and leaves it in the
"target" directory, but it's still going to expect the config files to be
in "/etc/cas/config", not inside the WAR file.

--Dave

David A. Curry,  CISSP
Director of Information Security
The New School - Information Technology
71 Fifth Ave., 9th Fl. ~ New York, NY 10003
+1 212 229-5300 x4728 ~ david.cu...@newschool.edu
Sent from my phone; please excuse typos and inane auto-corrections.