Lionel and Jann,

Did you ever have the JSON service registry working? If not, I recommend
that you take all the JPA stuff out of pom.xml and cas.properties and get
that working correctly first, so that you're only trying to debug one thing
at a time. Once you have the JSON service registry working correctly, for
both the main server and the management webapp, then it's time to move
things to JPA.

The basic steps for moving to JPA *should* be this:

1. REMOVE the "cas-server-support-json-service-registry" dependency from
pom.xml (server and management webapp)

2. Add the "cas-server-support-jpa-service-registry" dependency and
whatever other dependencies go with it to pom.xml (server and management
webapp)

3. Rebuild the server and management webapp

4. In the server's cas.properties file, include BOTH of these lines:

cas.serviceRegistry.json.location:     file:/etc/cas/services
cas.serviceRegistry.initFromJson:      true

The first line should already be there (since before you start these steps
you're using the JSON service registry), but you must add the second line.

5. Add all the lines you need to configure the JPA service registry to the
server's cas.properties file.

6. Start the CAS server (do not start the management webapp). You should
see it load the services from the JSON files (again, this should already be
working before you start) and then it will magically save them into the JPA
registry.

7. Shut the server down.

8. Check the database to see that the services actually got loaded there.
If not, this is where you need to start debugging. And the first step of
that would be setting the log level to "debug" in log4j2.xml, and adding
whatever Logger configuration you need to make the Oracle JDBC library log
for you as well.

Once you've got the services loaded into the database....

9. Remove the "cas.serviceRegistry.json.location" and
"cas.serviceRegistry.initFromJson" properties from the server's
cas.properties file.

10. Remove the "cas.serviceRegistry.json.location" property from, and add
all the JPA properties to, the management webapp's management.properties
file.

At least, that's the procedure I followed to get the MongoDB service
registry working (see
https://dacurry-tns.github.io/deploying-apereo-cas/high-avail_service-registry_overview.html).
I've not used the JPA stuff at all, so no guarantees, but I don't see why
it should be any different.

--Dave

--

DAVID A. CURRY, CISSP
*DIRECTOR OF INFORMATION SECURITY*

71 FIFTH AVE., 9TH FL., NEW YORK, NY 10003
+1 212 229-5300 x4728 • david.cu...@newschool.edu

[image: The New School]