What do you mean when you say you are "using mod_auth_cas for reverse proxy
to my cas server"? Mod_auth_cas is not a (reverse) proxy. It's simply a way
to control access to content on an Apache web server using CAS
authentication. Think of it as an alternative to HTTP Basic Authentication.
It seems like this was explained  in an earlier thread; if you want to
spread the load across multiple CAS servers, you should just stick a load
balancer (NGINX, F5, etc.) in front of them. See, for example, the picture
here
https://apereo.github.io/cas/development/planning/High-Availability-Guide.html
.

As for logging out, mod_auth_cas does not support SLO. This is documented
in the README file under "Known Limitations". If you really want to
implement logout with mod_auth_cas, you would somehow have to arrange for
the logout process (which mod_auth_cas is completely unaware of, since it
doesn't have its own "logout" link and it doesn't support SLO) to delete
the "MOD_AUTH_CAS_S" cookie from the user's browser. You MIGHT be able to
make use of the "logoutUrl" property in the service registry (
https://apereo.github.io/cas/development/installation/Logout-Single-Signout.html#service-endpoint-for-logout-requests)
to accomplish this, with the page that URL points do taking care of
deleting the cookie.

--

DAVID A. CURRY, CISSP
*DIRECTOR OF INFORMATION SECURITY*

71 FIFTH AVE., 9TH FL., NEW YORK, NY 10003
+1 212 229-5300 x4728 • david.cu...@newschool.edu

[image: The New School]