I like the idea of a configurable timeout for mfa globally or mfa
provider-service level.  The other ideas related to being able to disable
it quickly or set discreet failure modes for populations and at the service
level (which i think we can do already?) are really nice features/value
adds.

*Having the request marked as a failure if it takes too long will allow the
existing process/contingency to kick in. This, in my opinion is critical.*

 We never hit fail-open in the last DUO event we had because the duo
service never hung up.  The contingency that is in place never
materialized:  CAS 5.2.6 and CAS 5.2.7 are the versions in use when our two
DUO failures occurred btw.