Hmm, is your customized cas.properties even getting loaded?

Worth checking is where you are running cas from. If you are developing say
on D: drive it might be looking for the cas.properties in
D:\etc\cas\config.

To debug, I recommend upping the log level to debug in your log4j2.xml for
the core cas packages.

Hope this helps,

Jon