Matt,

It depends.  If during CAS ticket validation, the validation result can assert
that MFA took place for the authentication that created the TGT, then I think
that would be sufficient if your requirement is simply that MFA took place
already in the SSO session.

However, suppose not all services require MFA.  If you first establish an SSO
session to such a service, you might not be prompted for MFA.  When you next go
to a service that requires MFA, CAS would need to check in with the IdP so it
could perform MFA, or else the SSO session would be denied access until it was
terminated and a new SSO session was started that actually did use MFA.

If your setup is such that in order to establish an SSO session, you need to
have provided a 2nd factor, then I would agree that CAS shouldn't need to check
with the IdP each time whether MFA is valid-- the fact that the SSO session
exists at all is based on the fact that MFA was successful.  Whether it is
possible to configure the software that way, I'm not sure.

Our own setup is the opposite of yours.  We run both CAS and Shibboleth
services.  CAS clients interface directly with our CAS service.  SAML2 clients
interact with our Shibboleth IdP, but the IdP delegates all authentication to
CAS so the SSO experience is unified.  Our CAS service does need to signal to
the IdP if MFA was used to establish the session.  We require MFA on a per-user
basis.  Either a user will be required to use MFA to establish an SSO session
or it will not.  Any call to our IdP will always pass though to CAS to verify
an SSO session exists.  Users are only prompted for MFA once per session.

Thanks,
Carl Waldbieser
ITS Identity Management
Lafayette College