After a little more research I found that the version of cas.css being used
by default is being provided by the cas-server-webapp-tomcat.war file from
the Maven repository.  I don't really understand what code base this .war
file is generated from since the github repo doesn't have this cas.css file
or the directory structure for it (although in earlier versions of CAS it
did exist).

So at the moment I can fix the apereo theme cas.css but not the
cas-theme-default cas.css so that these pages display properly in IE 11.

Again, if anyone has an idea on where the cas-theme-default cas.css can be
modified in a repo I can also submit a change for that.

Thanks!