Hi. I see thread is several months old, but thought I would reply anyway in
case others are looking since we ran in to the same issues. It's an issue
with the outdated Ellucian app. A valid NCName value may only start with a
letter or underscore. We ran in to the same problem with a very old version
of Faculty Grade Entry and an upgrade resolved the problem.

You could also try in the Services Manager under SAML2 SP unchecking the
box "Skip generating subject confirmation InResponseTo". I didn't realize
this was an option until after we upgraded.