> I would like to add my cas.properties file for a standalone deployment to
> source control. I'd like to know if there is a way to put certain settings
> that would necessarily be different between our dev & prod environments
> someplace external to the main properties file so I don't need to maintain
> the common properties in multiple places. An example of one of the
> properties I'd like to manage this way is
> cas.ticket.registry.hazelcast.cluster.members.

You need to use deployment profiles.  Keep your cas.properties file, then
create a dev.properties file and a prod.properties file. Put the relevant
settings for each tier in those, and keep the common stuff in the
cas.properties file. Then activate the profile at runtime with
"-Dspring.profiles.include=dev|prod"

Then manage the configuration files as you like with source control.

Blog post that conceptually outlines the same strategy:
https://apereo.github.io/2018/11/02/cas6-groovy-config-slurper/