Successfully reproduced this here.

That's very informative actually. It takes us here:
https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-boot/blob/2.2.x/spring-boot-project/spring-boot-autoconfigure/src/main/java/org/springframework/boot/autoconfigure/web/embedded/EmbeddedWebServerFactoryCustomizerAutoConfiguration.java

As we're discussing Tomcat, this leads here:
https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-boot/blob/master/spring-boot-project/spring-boot-autoconfigure/src/main/java/org/springframework/boot/autoconfigure/web/embedded/TomcatWebServerFactoryCustomizer.java

This result strongly suggests that either the configuration specified by
this class or the very existence of the Bean
tomcatWebServerFactoryCustomizer (and thus some other part of the code) is
the cause of this slowdown. I'll take a look at this hopefully in the near
future; if anyone knows anything about this part of Spring please chime in.

Best,
Hayden

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 9:10 AM John Bond <jb...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Following up on this thread, it seems we have managed to reduce the lag on
> our infrastructure by adding the following to /et/cas/config/cas.properties
>

> spring.autoconfigure.exclude=org.springframework.boot.autoconfigure.web.embedded.EmbeddedWebServerFactoryCustomizerAutoConfiguration
>
> I'm unsrue why this fixed the issue however i came across the suggestion
> while attempting to configure a standalone war to work with an external
> tomcat instance and hitting an error regarding a missing method.
> <https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/forum/#!topic/cas-user/wLuzUAxJGkU>
>

> Adding the above config fixed the issue with the with the external
> instance of tomcat however it also significantly reduced the lag we
> observed when using the embeded war. If anyone is able to provide insight
> into why this config parameter helped i would be intrested
>

> Thanks

> cas-user+unsubscr...@apereo.org.
> https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/d/msgid/cas-user/6a633dbb-79be-4ffb-b32f-c671a4f60bd4%40apereo.org
> <https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/d/msgid/cas-user/6a633dbb-79be-4ffb-b32f-c671a4f60bd4%40apereo.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>