OK, through a lot of trial and error I figured out where to put the files.
NOT in the source and NOT compiling it into the final war.  It is more of a
runtime configuration option
which was very hard to figure out.

I will have to put together a small project to make sure no one else suffers
this much.  Thank you for your help.