Michael,

What do the ldap logs show?

Ray

On Tue, 2022-02-08 at 08:00 -0800, Michael Santangelo wrote:
Notice: This message was sent from outside the University of Victoria email
system. Please be cautious with links and sensitive information.

Hello all,

Forgive me for this, I'm brand new to CAS and I'm trying to get LDAP working.

I built an Ubuntu VM and did initial setup by doing:

  1.  git clone https://github.com/apereo/cas-overlay-template
  2.  I did some initial config changes in the cas.properties to get SSL up and
running
  3.  Ran sudo ./gradlew clean copyCasConfiguration build run
  4.  I can login using the casuser and the default password as expected.  This
part is all working fine.

So I tried adding LDAP support by:

  1.  Modify build.gradle by adding
    implementation
"org.apereo.cas:cas-server-support-ldap:${project.'cas.version'}"
to the dependencies section.
  2.  Modify cas.properties by adding:
# Disable casuser
cas.authn.accept.users=
# LDAP Servers Authenticated
cas.authn.ldap[0].ldapUrl=ldap://<ldap server ip>:389
#cas.authn.ldap[0].usessl=false
cas.authn.ldap[0].useStartTls=false
cas.authn.ldap[0].type=AUTHENTICATED
cas.authn.ldap[0].bindDn=cn=cas bind,CN=Users,DC=...
cas.authn.ldap[0].bindCredential=<the password>
# LDAP Servers Authenticated

# Search For CAS User
cas.authn.ldap[0].baseDn=OU=Technology,OU=Staff,DC=CHS,DC=...
cas.authn.ldap[0].subtreeSearch=true
#cas.authn.ldap[0].searchFilter=(&(objectClass=person)(uid={user}))
#cas.authn.ldap[0].searchFilter=uid={user}
cas.authn.ldap[0].searchFilter=sAMAaccountName={user}
#cas.authn.ldap[0].principalAttributeList=cn,givenName,mail,sn
# Search for CAS User
  3.  Ran sudo ./gradlew clean copyCasConfiguration build run

The page loads as usual.  I am unable to login as casuser, which is expected.
I cannot login with any domain credentials.

In the log I get an error:
2022-02-08 15:43:49,567 INFO
[org.apereo.cas.authentication.DefaultAuthenticationManager] -
<[LdapAuthenticationHandler] exception details: [Unable to resolve user dn for
<a username>].>

So I tried to verify that the server can connect via LDAP:

ldapsearch -H ldap://<ldap server ip>:389 -D "CN=cas bind,CN=Users,DC=..." -W
samaccountname=<a username> -b "OU=Technology,OU=Staff,DC=..." -v

And I receive a valid result.

I'm not sure where the disconnect is, or what else I should search for.  Any
tips or suggestions that you could provide would be helpful.

I'm attaching the output of Task :run.

--

Ray Bon
Programmer Analyst

I acknowledge and respect the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples on whose traditional territory
the university stands, and the Songhees, Esquimalt and WSÁNEĆ peoples whose
historical relationships with the land continue to this day.