Mark,

Could this be a problem with the ticket storage system?
Maybe it can not keep up with the load.

Did you try the test using the in memory ticket store?

Ray

On Tue, 2022-02-15 at 08:06 -0800, Mark van Rossum wrote:
Notice: This message was sent from outside the University of Victoria email
system. Please be cautious with links and sensitive information.

Hi,

I'm upgrading to CAS 6.5.0 with delegated authentication to Azure AD using
OAuth.

I'm load testing it using a second CAS instance as a "mock" OAuth end point
rather than AAD.  We've already hit several bugs [1], [2] on previous releases
with threading issues under load.

The load test:

  *   Steps through an OAuth login
  *   Validates the ticket
  *   Obtains a proxy IOU, retrieves the proxy ticket itself, and validates
this.
  *   "Logs in" again but this time it already has a SSO session so no OAuth
  *   Validates this ticket.

Release 6.5.0 seemed to fix most problems.  My load tests run OK at 500
logins/min but above this I'm getting errors:

WARN [org.apereo.cas.DefaultCentralAuthenticationService] - <Service ticket
[xxxxxxxxxxxxx] does not exist.>

And the client gets:
<cas:authenticationFailure code="INVALID_TICKET">Ticket
&#39;ST-8315-5xte-xOJmYBrgw1IGLe5Tzqxu20-IT080096&#39; not
recognized</cas:authenticationFailure>

This looks similar to the bug [2] where the same ticket was given to multiple
clients, and it was then a race which of them validated it first.

CAS doesn't seem to have any sort of issue tracker on Github so I can't see how
to raise this, but given the previous bugs it seems likely there are still
threading issues.

Has anyone else encountered this, or know of any workaround?  I've spent a huge
amount of time testing this now,  I don't know if we are going to be able to
upgrade our CAS instance at all now unless I can find some resolution to this!

Thanks,
Mark van Rossum

[1] https://github.com/apereo/cas/pull/5315
[2] https://github.com/apereo/cas/pull/5350

--

Ray Bon
Programmer Analyst

I acknowledge and respect the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples on whose traditional territory
the university stands, and the Songhees, Esquimalt and WSÁNEĆ peoples whose
historical relationships with the land continue to this day.