Thanks jm and Sven.

You managed to direct me to the correct direction.

There was actually a ready-made commented-out line in build.gradle under
the bootWar declaration that excludes jars from the war without ruining the
build process:

        cas {
            from
"org.apereo.cas:cas-server-webapp${project.appServer}:${casServerVersion}@war
"
            provided = false
            //excludes = ["WEB-INF/lib/somejar-1.0*"]
        }

Uncommented the line and replaced the somejar with common-text-1.8* and the
war was built without the old version.

BR,
Otto Myyrä